You may have thought that itchy eyes, sneezing, and coughing were just an allergy, but what if I told you it was due to the presence of mold. Most people have concerns about finding mold in their homes. It’s scary to imagine that there may be something living in your home and affecting your health and probably affecting your home as well.
Since mold may be found in virtually any environment with warmth, humidity, and food, everyone is potentially at risk for toxic mold exposure. Keep reading to understand the risks of mold growth and why you need professional mold remediation.
How Does Mold Growth Affect Your Health?
The most common health risks of mold exposure are allergies such as itchy eyes, sneezing, coughing and congestion in the head. If the allergies are not taken care of in their early stages, they may graduate to conditions such as hypersensitivity, short of breath, skin problems, wheezing, and a tight chest. Unfortunately, there are other serious health risks caused by mold exposure such as:
Mold Induced Asthma
Those people with mold allergies may have an asthma attack if they breathe in mold spores. These attacks may be more severe than “normal” asthma attacks and those susceptible to them may need emergency attention.
Even though this is rare it’s a condition a condition where the lungs become inflamed, as a result of exposure to toxic black mold and other elements. This may cause permanent damage to the lungs and the respiratory system as a whole.
Allergic Fungal Sinusitis
This condition happens when mold spores get stuck in the sinus cavity and start to grow, creating a fungal ball that in some cases can only be removed through surgery.
Allergic Bronchopulmonary Aspergillosis
People suffering from cystic fibrosis or asthma are prone to getting this type of fungal infection in their lungs.
WARNING: Other health risks posed by mold also include infections and toxic reactions in the mucous membranes and central nervous system.
Symptoms of Mold Exposure
Common symptoms of mold exposure include a runny nose, coughing, sneezing, skin irritation, a sore throat, headaches, and difficulty breathing.
Some people may experience severe symptoms including sinus infections, asthma attacks, and joint pain.
The most severe reactions include pneumonia and bleeding in lungs. These may be life-threatening and require expert treatment and mold testing and removal to prevent further exposure.
Young children, infants, people with existing health problems, and the elderly are at a higher risk of suffering from mold exposure. This includes people with persistent respiratory conditions such as asthma or people whose immune systems are compromised due to HIV, AIDS, or ongoing chemotherapy treatments. However, even healthy adults may experience mold reactions.
Some of the common places where mold grows are attics, crawlspace, basement, behind walls, under carpet, bathrooms, and kitchens. To completely remove the mood, it’s crucial to schedule expert mold removal services.
Leave it to the Pro’s
Mold growth is a serious problem and one that should be handled immediately to avoid any future health issues. However, just because it needs to be addressed immediately doesn’t mean that you should handle it yourself.
DIY mold removal is rarely effective and exposure to the mold spores may lead to allergic reactions and respiratory problems. On the other hand, mold removal companies have the required tools and experience in mold testing and removal to restore your home to its former condition.
Here are the steps:
- A thorough inspection to determine if there is mold in your home, the type of mold you’re dealing with and its location.
- After evaluating the level of the mold problem, the mold remediation specialist will then establish an airtight containment before the removal begins. This prevents spreading of spores to other parts of your home and growing.
- The removal specialists will then arm themselves with safety suits and face masks to protect their health. Note, a professional mold specialist will always conduct air testing before and after remediation.
- The process of mold removal and remediation now begins. Mold remediation companies use environment-friendly cleaning solutions for a mold cleaning service, content cleaning, and restoration of mold affected surfaces. Also, depending on the extent of the problem, structural repairs may be needed.
- Lastly, negative air fans and an air filtration system that uses HEPA filters is used for sanitation and air purification. This makes the air safe to breathe again.
Do you suspect mold growth in your home? Contact Maxwell Building Services for free mold inspections.
Maxwell Building Services is a reputable, licensed, certified and insured company offering mold removal services in Oakland and Macomb counties. Remember that mold grows within 48-72 hours after any water damage, so don’t wait, call now!